Heads up, this post may contain affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – check my Disclosure Policy to learn more. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
CHOOSING THE BEST BABY CARRIER FOR BREASTFEEDING
A baby carrier was my favorite piece of baby equipment, hands down. I loved it and used it all the time. I consider a baby carrier an essential accessory for every new mom.
Whenever I am buying a gift for a baby shower or a new mom, I will choose a baby carrier if it is on her registry.
When I purchased my baby carrier, I didn’t have a lot of different choices. Today’s lucky moms have a ton of options when choosing the best baby carrier for breastfeeding.
But all the different choices can be overwhelming. There are carriers, wraps, and slings.
When you are deciding on what baby carrier to get, I encourage you to choose a baby carrier you can breastfeed in. Baby carrier breastfeeding will make your life so much easier. I am all about making life easier for new moms.
I looked at the baby carriers available and chose the ones that work best for breastfeeding and are good carriers overall.
Using a baby carrier has so many beneficial reasons to make sure that you get one.
BABY CARRIER BENEFITS
Using a baby carrier is often referred to as babywearing. There are many benefits to babywearing.
- One of the obvious benefits of wearing your baby is that it frees up your hands. You keep your baby close and can get a lot of things done at the same time.
- Babywearing can enhance bonding (Source 1, Source 2).
- Wearing your baby is beneficial for breastfeeding (Source).
- Babies who are carried more cry less (Source).
- Babywearing and breastfeeding are going to save the busy mom time. And what mom isn’t busy?
HOW TO CHOOSE A BABY CARRIER
There are six things to keep in mind when choosing a baby carrier for nursing your baby.
- Your comfort
- Your baby’s comfort
- How easy it is to use
- Ease of use for breastfeeding
THE BEST WRAP STYLE BABY CARRIER FOR BREASTFEEDING
I think the Baby K’Tan is genius. It takes the popular concept of a baby wrap and made it easy to use. It’s basically a wrap carrier without the hassle of wrapping.
It’s as easy to put on as putting on a t-shirt.
When a new mom wants a baby carrier she can easily breastfeed in, the Baby K’Tan is what I recommend.
- Can be used as a sling
- Can position baby like a carrier
- Baby can be positioned either inward-facing or outward-facing. You obviously can’t breastfeed when your baby is outward-facing, but this is a great option to have when your baby gets a little older. Babies enjoy getting to see what is going on around them.
- 5 wearing positions
- Available in cotton or polyester.
- Organic cotton version option.
- An extensive variety of fabric prints and solids to choose from
- Six sizes (XXS – XL) allows for the perfect fit.
- Intended for use from birth up to 35 pounds.
- Easily fits in a diaper bag.
- Machine washable
- The Baby K’Tan was the most affordable model of baby carriers that I recommend.
When this post was published, there were no recalls for any K’Tan baby carriers on the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- Baby K’Tan Active is made of 100% polyester and provides over 90% UVA protection.
- According to their website, “The Baby K’tan Baby Carrier is approved as hip-healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute. Baby is worn in the natural seated position, with knees bent and hips spread, promoting healthy development.
- Lightweight, breathable cotton fabric
- Also available in moisture-wicking polyester
- Back support band helps to distribute weight properly
- 5 different ways to wear baby ensure comfort at every stage of development.
- The Breeze model is 100% cotton, half jersey knit and half mesh knit
Things to Consider About the Baby K’Tan
The most frequently voiced complaint is that this baby carrier is size specific. If two parents are different sizes, which is more common than not, they will need to purchase two carriers.
Ease of Use
Parents consistently praise it for how easy it is to use. One mom said, “The Baby K’Tan actually made breastfeeding easier.” Another mom said, “I was really nervous about breastfeeding in public. The Baby K’Tan made it super-easy and discreet.”
The Baby K’Tan has been reviewed over 5100 times on Amazon and has an impressive 4.3 out of 5-star rating.
BEST STRUCTURED BABY CARRIER FOR BREASTFEEDING
The Ergobaby OMNI 360 Carrier is a popular choice among parents who want a structured baby carrier.
- Baby can be carried in four different positions.Front carry-facing inFront carry-facing outHip carryBack carry
- Wide, thickly padded shoulder straps that have the option of being worn straight or crossed
- Lumbar support waist belt
- It has a removable pouch for you to keep your essentials in.
- It can be used for newborns up to toddlers weighing from 7-45 pounds.
- Comes in a wide variety of colors
- Machine washable
When this post was published, there were no recalls for any Ergobaby baby carriers on the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- Has received the seal of approval as being hip-healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.
- The hood provides protection from the sun.
- Thick shoulder padding helps to distribute the weight
- The waist belt is wide and provides good back support
- Can easily be used by different sized parents
- Different position options meet baby’s needs at different developmental stages.
- Protection from sun and wind with a privacy hood
Breastfeeding in ergo baby carrier may take some practice before you feel like you can do it effortlessly. You will want to practice at home when you are first learning how to breastfeed in ergo baby carrier. The Ergobaby site has tips on breastfeeding in their carrier.
Things to Consider About the Ergobaby
Petite moms have said the Ergobaby was a bit large for them.
A structured baby carrier like the Ergobaby is going to be a little heavier than a wrap carrier. This can make the structured carriers a little warmer when wearing one.
Structured baby carriers are generally going to be the most expensive option.
TRADITIONAL BABY WRAP CARRIER
Some moms like the simplicity of a traditional baby wrap carrier like the Solly Baby.
A traditional baby wrap carrier is a long piece of material that you wrap around your torso. Moms say there is a learning curve to putting on a traditional baby wrap. I have used a traditional baby wrap. Once I got the hang of it, it was easy to use.
Solly Baby Wrap Carrier
- Fits in your diaper bag
- Made of soft, lightweight Modal fabric. Modal is a silky soft material that is made from beech trees.
- Available in a variety of solids, prints, and stripes
- Machine wash and dry
- Hip healthy certified
Things to consider about the Solly Baby Wrap
This wrap is only recommended for use in babies who are 25 pounds or less.
It should only be used with baby facing toward you.
ORGANIC BABY CARRIER
If you prefer organic products to use with your baby then the Organic Cotton Baby Wrap/Sling Carrier by Loveyduds on Etsy is exactly what you are looking for.
It gets an impressive 5 star rating from over 6000 reviews!!!
WHEN TO START USING A BABY CARRIER
Most baby carriers can be used from birth. Check the guidelines for the carrier you choose. Some manufacturers provide weight guidelines for when you can start to use their carrier.
I encourage moms to do lots of skin to skin in those first few days of their baby’s life. I also encourage moms to take it easy and get plenty of rest in the early days.
But if you want to take a walk a baby carrier that is approved for your baby’s weight is a great idea.
BABY CARRIER SAFETY
Follow these guidelines to help ensure safety when using a baby carrier or sling.
- You should always be able to see your baby’s face easily. It should not be pressed into your body.
- Fabric should not cover baby’s face.
- Baby’s chin is off of her chest.
- Baby should be high enough that you can comfortably kiss the top of her head.
- Choose a carrier that fits you properly.
- Choose a carrier that allows you to position your baby, so his thighs are supported, and hips are bent and allowed to spread apart (Source).
SUMMARY OF BEST BABY CARRIER FOR BREASTFEEDING
Best Baby Carrier for Breastfeeding Newborn
The best baby carrier for nursing your newborn in will be the Baby K’Tan. This is the carrier that can easily be used as a sling. That is the position that will be easiest for most new moms to breastfeed in when they are out and about.
Most Comfortable Baby Carrier
This is really an individual preference. Some people like the structured baby carriers and find those the most comfortable to use. Others really like the lightweight Baby K’Tan and the way they can choose a size that best fits them.
Best Structured Baby Carrier for Breastfeeding
The Ergobaby Omni 360 is the winner for a structured carrier.
Ergobaby has been making baby carriers since 2002. They are a reputable company. Their carrier is available in a wide variety of solids and prints.
Check out all the innovative products for your baby made by Ergobaby.
Which baby carrier did you choose? Let me know in the comments.
Andrea Tran RN, MA, IBCLC
Andrea has been working with new families as an RN for over 35 years and a Lactation Consultant for over 25 years.
She has her MA in Health and Wellness with a focus in Lactation.