Heads up, this post may contain affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – check my Disclosure Policy to learn more. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Choosing baby furniture can be an overwhelming experience. It is no different when it comes to shopping for a comfy nursing chair.
You are going to spend many hours breastfeeding. A comfortable chair to breastfeed in can make the difference between enjoying those precious moments and back or neck pain.
Smart moms will want to make their choice from the best of the best chairs for breastfeeding.
It would be nice if you could just pick the breastfeeding chair of your dreams. However, most mamas have specific criteria that will narrow their options down.
There are a variety of things to take into consideration when shopping for a chair for breastfeeding.
The good news is that there are a lot of options when it comes to finding a comfortable breastfeeding chair. The bad news is there are a LOT of options when it comes to finding a comfortable chair for nursing. It can be hard to narrow all those choices down.
My goal is to help save you time in discovering the best chair for breastfeeding. In my opinion, these are the breastfeeding chairs for sale that will make you look forward to those middle of the night feedings.
If you read my Best Breastfeeding Pillows post, then you know that I don’t believe there is one size fits all. It’s no different with a breastfeeding chair. I found something for everyone. I even have a portable option for you.
Keep reading for my best nursing chair recommendations.
WHY YOU NEED A CHAIR FOR BREASTFEEDING
I always tell the moms who I help that the first rule of breastfeeding is that mom needs to be comfortable. A comfortable chair for breastfeeding will help you accomplish that.
- A comfortable chair will help you relax so you can focus on latching.
- A good chair will provide back support.
- Some breastfeeding chairs come with a footrest or ottoman, which can help put you in an optimum position.
FEATURES OF A GOOD BREASTFEEDING CHAIR
When deciding on what kind of breastfeeding chair you want, you will need to prioritize the features that are most important to you.
- Comfort – A comfortable breastfeeding chair is the name of the game. If a breastfeeding chair isn’t uber comfortable, you are probably not going to use it.
- Easy to clean – Anything that involves babies has to be easy to clean. Your breastfeeding chair will probably experience everything from diaper blowouts to wet nursing pads to spilled drinks. I have only included nursing chairs that are easy to clean.
- Versatility – some chairs will rock, others will glide, and some will do both. There are also nursing chairs that swivel and recline. The more options a chair has, the better. The best chairs for nursing will have lots of options. Keep in mind, though, a chair with multiple movement options may mean a higher price tag.
- A place to rest your feet and legs – In my book, this is essential. If your nursing chair doesn’t have a place for your feet and legs, you will definitely want to invest in a nursing stool. A nursing stool is actually at the top of my list of breastfeeding must-haves.
- Size of the chair itself. If the room where the chair is going to be is small, then you will need a breastfeeding chair that doesn’t take up a lot of space.
- Size of the seating area – Plus size moms don’t want a chair that makes them feel confined.
- Easy to get in and out of.
- Easy to use – If you choose a recliner, you will want one that is easy to extend and just as easy to return to a sitting position. The lever also needs to be comfortable for you to reach while you are holding your precious bundle.
- Durability – The material your nursing chair is constructed of will determine how long it looks good. More durable materials can increase the cost.
- Design – Do you want something classic or modern? Will your nursing chair always be in a particular room, or do you plan to move it from the nursery to the family room or living room?
- Safe – Are there any places that little fingers could get pinched?
- Cost – What is your budget?
TYPES OF CHAIRS FOR BREASTFEEDING
There are three types of chairs that are ideal for breastfeeding your baby in.
You will notice they all involve some movement. Movement is soothing to babies. When someone is holding a baby, they almost always start swaying or rocking. So, when choosing a chair for nursing your baby, you will want something that makes maintaining that movement effortless.
Differences in Movement Options
Any rocking chair can be used for breastfeeding. A rocker has curved bands on the bottom of the legs.
A glider is a type of rocker. The edges on the floor are flat. The gliding mechanism comes from a swing seat. With a glider, you move back and forth without leaning forward and backward. They are very similar. Gliders tend to be quieter than rocking chairs.
A chair where you can lower the back and the footrest comes up, putting you in a reclined position. Many recliners also have a rocking, gliding, and swivel motions.
If you don’t like the idea of all that movement, a fixed chair is also an option.
PRICE OF BREASTFEEDING CHAIRS
The price of a breastfeeding chair varies widely. The portable option is less than $50. A top of the line chair for nursing could set you back close to $2000.
BEST CHAIRS FOR BREASTFEEDING
BEST AFFORDABLE NURSING CHAIR
While it is not promoted as a chair for breastfeeding, the IKEA Pello Chair is a very comfortable and has a budget-friendly price tag. It is a no-frills option but will appeal to the mom who prefers a minimalist look and doesn’t have a lot of room for her breastfeeding chair.
It also has a companion ottoman that you can purchase. That will, of course, increase the total price tag.
BEST VERSATILE NURSING GLIDER
The Graco Parker Glider and Nursing Ottoman is at the top of my list for an amazing nursing glider that offers both comfort and versatility.
What sets it apart from the other gliders is the ottoman that comes with it. You can prop your legs up on the padded top. It also has a nursing stool that pulls out and folds away when not in use. I love this design, and this is why it is a top pick for one of the best gliders for breastfeeding.
- The ottoman has a gliding motion.
- Available in grey or white finish with grey upholstery.
- The grey color of the fabric will do a great job of hiding any spots, and the polyester means that it is easy to clean.
NURSING GLIDER WITH THE MOST FABRIC AND WOOD OPTIONS
The Windsor Glider and Ottoman is perfect for the mom who wants to show off her personality or wants to match her nursery color scheme. It is available in 18 different wood and fabric combinations.
Breastfeeding moms clearly love this glider. It has been rated over 7000 times on Amazon. 87% of buyers have given it a 4 and 5-star rating for an overall 4.5 out of 5 stars. An added bonus is that it comes in at a price point that won’t break the bank.
Feedback From Buyers
- Easy to put together. Those might be the best four words ever spoken.
- Easy to clean.
- Good customer service.
- Very comfortable.
BEST ROCKING CHAIR FOR NURSING
If you want a traditional rocking chair without the frills, the Shine Company Vermont Rocking Chair is classic simplicity.
- Available in 6 colors, including oak, white, and a sassy red.
- It’s 20.5” width makes it perfect for smaller spaces
- 731 ratings have earned it a 4.3 out of 5-star rating.
Feedback From Buyers
- Easy to assemble
For extra comfort and to coordinate with your nursery decor make sure you add Gripper Non-Slip Omega Jumbo Rocking Chair Cushions .
BEST NURSING CHAIR FOR SMALL SPACE
If you want the comfort of a glider but don’t have a lot of room, the Amazon Brand – Rivet Stowell Modern Velvet Glider Chair is ideal for small spaces. This compact yet comfortable chair will provide you with the gentle gliding motion that babies love without sacrificing a large area of your nursery.
- It is only 29.5” wide and 34.3” deep.
- Available in grey or green
- No assembly needed
BEST SPLURGE FOR A BREASTFEEDING CHAIR
If you want to splurge, a pricier option is the Monte Design Upholstered Modern Nursery Como Glider Chair and Ottoman. There is a reason for the high price tag of this contemporary and elegant looking glider. This ultra-comfortable chair is luxury defined.
- Sustainably made
- The foam is free from any flame-retardant chemicals
- Covers for seat and back cushions are removable and washable.
- Includes a lumbar pillow
- Shipping costs are included in the price.
BEST CHAIR FOR BREASTFEEDING IN THE LAID-BACK POSITION
Hands down, a recliner will be the nursing chair of choice for the mom who plans to use the laid-back nursing position.
The laid-back position is popular among a lot of moms. It can be helpful if a mom has a forceful let-down or is dealing with an oversupply issue.
The Esright Massage Recliner is a new mom’s dream nursing chair.
- Available in seven different colors
- Massaging function
- Heated option
- Nice wide, padded armrests. This is a must for moms to help prevent arms from getting fatigued.
- The leather options mean baby messes and spills will be stress-free to clean up.
- The pull handle to control the reclining function is easy to locate because it is on the inside of the chair.
- It has two cup holders.
- Storage pockets on both sides
Feedback From Buyers
- Easy to put together
- Great customer service
- Great chair for a nursery
BEST BREASTFEEDING CHAIR FOR PLUS SIZE MOMS AND TWINS
Esright also made the top pick for a breastfeeding chair for plus size mamas. The extra-wide seat of the Esright Upholstered Rocking Chair will be the most comfortable nursing chair for the larger mom. It is one and a half times the width of regular chairs. It is both stylish and a joy to sit in.
Feedback From Buyers
- Easy to assemble
- Looks great
PORTABLE CHAIR FOR BREASTFEEDING
I facilitated a breastfeeding support group for many years at the hospital where I worked. We had BackJack Floor Chairs available. Moms absolutely loved these chairs—90% of the time, they chose the BackJack chairs over a regular chair.
The Back Jack sits on the floor. They have a comfortable padded seat and a supportive back. It allows moms to rock back and forth gently.
- Their size makes them easy to throw into your car for a visit to grandma’s or for longer road trips.
- They have a folding option that you could put in a suitcase if you are traveling by air.
- They have an extra-large size for plus size moms.
- Available in a variety of colors.
- Very lightweight
CREATING A BREASTFEEDING STATION BY YOUR BREASTFEEDING CHAIR
A comfy nursing chair is not the only thing you need when you breastfeed. You will want all the necessities nearby.
My best advice is to create a Breastfeeding Basket to have next to your breastfeeding chair.
FINAL THOUGHTS ON THE BEST BREASTFEEDING CHAIRS
I hope these recommendations for the best chairs for breastfeeding your baby have helped with this decision. I hope you find the nursing chair that brings you comfort and many wonderful memories.
Leave me a comment about the one that you chose.
Andrea Tran RN, MA, IBCLC
Andrea has been working with new families as an RN for over 35 years and a Lactation Consultant for over 25 years.
She has her MA in Health and Wellness with a focus in Lactation.